Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Lincoln!! (Abe)




Today my father would have turned 83. Happy Birthday Dad! He was a character. I miss his sense of humor, watching golf, Gun smoke, and Mash on t.v. with him. I miss picking apples, and having him peel and core them for us before we ate them. Oh he spoiled us girls. If you were ever hungry for chocolate or nuts he always had plenty tucked away in his little hiding places. He had a terrible sweet tooth. That, unfortunately, was something I inherited from him.
His mother made an old German recipe that my mother had to learn to make before she married him - Sauerkraut and Dumplings. My sister's and I surprised him one year by making them for his birthday. They're not easy to make, and took half the day, but it was worth it to see his face. It makes me hungry for them just talking about it.
He was a kind and generous man. I miss his wisdom, and advise when I need it. When ever I look at the flag I will always remember my father who had a deep love for his country, his family, and God.
Love and miss you Dad.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Remember those Mr. Goodbars he would keep in his closet and bring them out at night when we were watching a show with him? The best. I love those pictures you posted, I might steal them. So when are you going to teach me to make those dumplings? I am really craving them, that is one thing I wished I would of learned, but I was always to scared to try them. I miss Dad. Love you

Forbes Clan of Six said...

I miss him so much. I miss my wake up call of him saying "Rise and shout the cougars are out". I miss his advice, his direction, his blessings and the love he had for my girls and I. I miss brushing his head so that he would take us to Atlantis Burger. I miss his yelling at the school kids to stop picking his apples. I miss Halloween with him. I miss his rootbeer floats. I miss his own cussing as he watched the BYU games on T.V. when he wasn't there to watch them in person. I miss his laugh and the Christ like presence he always had with him. You have a wonderful DAD. I love you grandpa.

pirate ride said...

Happy Birthday Grampa!! I miss him so very much! His great smile and fabulous laugh! OH.... and those Dumplings! Love you Gramps!

B said...

I love reading about your parents. I hear so many wonderful things about them from Carol. Wish I could have met them.

Bea said...

I have wonderful memories of my Dad. He would occassionally call me by my baby name and when he died I was sad because I would never hear that name again. His birthday was July 4th, and as an Irish Immigrant (legally) he always figured The USA was celebrating him. I can go for that. :o)
Happy b'day to your Dad.