This past week our stake held our Youth Conference at Zarahemla. The name of our conference was "2010 Strong", a Book of Mormon re-enactment. Doug and Sharon Folland were incharge of the conference. I worked with our youth committee, the sewing committee and attended monthly meetings with the planning committee. This whole process began last August, 2009. There has been an amazing amount of support and help from so many members of our stake. Together our stake read the Book of Mormon beginning in January and finish just before we left. I'm not sure I was quite prepared for the way this conference would affect me spiritually. From the moment we met at our stake center on Tuesday morning and witnessed our youth in the first couple of scenes, tears never stopped flowing even until now. When we began that morning at the stake center and sang the theme song "I Will Not Forget" by Alex Boye', he appeared on stage and gave us a surprise visit. He sang the song for us and talked to the youth a bit on staying strong. It was very powerful.
When we arrived at Zarahemla we set up camp and the youth were divided up into tribes. We had twenty tribes with couples through out the stake for the tribal leaders, and these tribes then divided into four nations. Our Stake Presidency and Bishop Anderson were the leaders of the nations.
Through out the week watching our youth perform the different stories from the Book of Mormon was amazing. Though I have always had a testimony of the Book of Mormon, my testimony was strengthened and reaffirmed. I shed tears every time I watched them re-enact a scene from the Book of Mormon.
The youth committee that M-Ced before each scene with awards, questions and games were outstanding. These youth are truly the leaders of our future. Laughter and cheering filled the air as they kept the audience entertained in between each scene.
Through out the week watching our youth perform the different stories from the Book of Mormon was amazing. Though I have always had a testimony of the Book of Mormon, my testimony was strengthened and reaffirmed. I shed tears every time I watched them re-enact a scene from the Book of Mormon.
The youth committee that M-Ced before each scene with awards, questions and games were outstanding. These youth are truly the leaders of our future. Laughter and cheering filled the air as they kept the audience entertained in between each scene.
For me, having these youth reenact these scenes put a whole new light on the Book of Mormon for me, and I will never be able to read it again with out seeing their faces and feeling the strong spirit that was with us this week.
In one particular scene, the story of the waters of Mormon, the young man named Josh Forkner played Alma and was most gentle. You felt the power of God as he gently brought each person into the water and baptised them. My tears began to flow and I could not stop them. It was a very tender scene and everyone present felt the spirit so strongly.
In one particular scene, the story of the waters of Mormon, the young man named Josh Forkner played Alma and was most gentle. You felt the power of God as he gently brought each person into the water and baptised them. My tears began to flow and I could not stop them. It was a very tender scene and everyone present felt the spirit so strongly.
There were 22 scenes performed during the three and a half days we were there, five battles and many games and likening sessions. They were very full days, and well worth every minute. On Thursday night the youth were blind folded and taken on a faith walk for about 20 minutes ending in the amphitheater. It was silent except for the sound of a storm and earthquake coming from the speakers. Once they were all seated the adults all removed their blind folds and the account of the Saviors visit to America began. The Savior appeared behind them and began walking among them, touching their hands, face and shoulders. I couldn't control the tears and the feelings that came over me. He spoke to them and then he was gone - It was silent. A sign said to go back to our camps and quietly everyone got up and walked silently back to their camps for a testimony meeting. I couldn't believe how quiet everyone was. Normally you would hear a whisper here of there, but not one sound was heard other than foots steps. the testimonies from our ward youth that night were sweet and spiritual. Lives were touched like never before.
It was an extraordinary conference. One I don't think our youth will ever forget, nor will I. I left feeling physically very tired, but spiritually strengthened.
God the father and His son Jesus Christ live. They have bodies of flesh and blood. Our Savior Jesus Christ loves us so much that He gave his life for each of us.
Joseph Smith restored the gospel here upon the earth and brought forth the sacred pages of the Book of Mormon that we might have a record of the ancient prophets and learn from it's teachings so that we can returned to our Heavenly Father.
Here are some pictures that I was able to get. I hope you enjoy them.
A parachute was hung over the amphitheater for shade and a misting system to help.
This was Lehi and his family leaving Jerusalem
Nephi cutting off the head of Laben
The burning of Abinadi
This was one of our wars. The yellow shields represented the Nephites and the red the Lamanites.
This was Alma at the waters of Mormon
Ammon before King Limhi
Ammon smote off the arms of the men who tried to scatter the kings flocks.

2000 Stripling Warriors
This was an awesome site.
This was one of the wars they fought with bags of flour. It was a riot.
Christ's visit to America
The last and finale battle
Joseph Smith receives the plates from Moroni

This is a shot of our ward youth and leaders.
Hooray for an awesome Youth Conference
1 comment:
Great summary of a fantastic week. I need to go back to 'past'. It was a life changing experience, one each youth should be offered. You did a terrific job!
Post a Comment