Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Week of Fun with Family!!

Sister's are the BEST!!
I realized at the end of the day I hadn't gotten time to do my hair. I had pulled it up that morning because it was hot. Then it went fuzzy while cooking in the hot kitchen. I look horrible. Definitely the ugly ducking in this family.
My sister Jana and her daughter Jackelle came to stay with me. I love it when she comes. We always have a great time, shopping, staying up late and talking and laughing, and she keeps me running in the morning to keep me fit. She was a big help to me while my Kate was there. Thanks Jana and Jackelle, I love you!!




Bountiful Parade
Kate was with us for the week. Her parents were in Mexico and I absolutely loved having her with us. She is the best little baby. She is growing so quickly. Her good nature and funny personality made me so happy. I loved her smile every morning when she woke up. She is a good little eater and when she giggled we just laughed and laughed. I was blessed to enjoy a week of having a little girl in my home to take care of. Although, I had forgotten when Keith was young how I worried each night putting my child to bed and praying they were protected. Kate brought it all back.
Kate and I enjoyed the week shopping, bowling, the parade, playing the piano and just having her sit on my lap quietly relaxing. It's amazing the love you feel for these sweet little spirits. I miss her already.

She started doing this thing with her tongue. She would click it really loud and stick it out. What a funny little girl. She kept us in stitches.
Jana got so attached to her she wanted to steel her.
She melts my heart with her smile.

She loves the Piano

Haacke Family Tradition

Just the beginning. It all takes about 6 hours to make.

You have to mix it with you hands to get the feel of the texture and to know how much of the ingredients you have to add.
We all ate till we couldn't eat any more.

These are the best ever!!!!
When my mother became engaged to my father there was one requirement that my mother had to meet. She had to learn to make the long handed down German recipe for Sauerkraut and Dumplings. This was no easy task since there is no written recipe. You have the basic ingredients, but the amounts are different just about every time you make it depending on what time of year you make them. I remember growing up the different times we were treated to this delicious dish. It was maybe once a year. We all looked forward to it. After I was married I asked my mother to teach me how. I didn't want the secret to die in our family line. So with a lot of practice I think I finally have it down. Monday, with Jana and Jackelle here we had the family over to dinner and we all gorged ourselves. I think I will have to make it again, because Keith and Sara were not with us, and Jim was in bed with a migraine. It was fun to have everyone together even though we were scrunched in our dinning room. I love my family!

4 comments:

Stecky said...

Your food looked yummy.so did your family. I am glad you had a good time. I was thinking about you all week. I was hoping you were having a great time with Kate..it looks like you did. She is certainly a keeper!

Amber said...

Thank you again for having us over and dinner was fabulous. I love you guys for keeping our family ties together.

pirate ride said...

Yum, I want some dumpling's again now looking at the pic!! They were delicious! We had a blast bowling and it's always so fun getting the family together!! Thanks for having us over!! Love ya

Jana said...

Thanks BonBon for everything!! Im so glad you are my sister thanks for teaching me how to make dumplings hope I can do it in AZ. Your a awesome Nanna and Kate is so adorable it was so fun having her there with us. Love you lots!!